Disclosure: Nothing in this blog should be taken as investment advice. Do your own research. This blog is supported by advertising and affiliate links... Links to products and/or services on this blog may include links to affiliate programs that provide commissions to this blog. All of the content in this blog is 100% my own opinion.
If you want to sell live classes in WooCommerce this article describes how to do so without any additional premium add-ons or plugins…
The Internet has made it possible for any person with a computer, or even a smartphone, to harness their unique life expertise and “productize it” in the form of online training materials such as video classes, e-books, flashcards, online practice tests, etc.
If you have developed expertise over your lifetime, and are interested in creating an online business, selling online video classes, e-books, flashcards, online practice tests, etc. is an excellent business model to consider because once the class is made, you can sell it again and again for very low cost.
Unlike selling a physical product, which must be physically produced and held in inventory, selling digital products can be automated and costs almost nothing to you for each new, incremental sale you achieve.
This low incremental cost means that once the business is set up, you can run it with very little overhead.
WooCommerce is an excellent free WordPress plugin to use to set up your e-commerce store. You can use WooCommerce to sell digital (aka “virtual”) products and physical products, or even tickets to live classes.
There are WordPress plugins that work with WooCommerce to help create more advanced discounts. One of them is called “Discount Rules for WooCommerce” another one is called “Finale“. Certain plugins are free and others, such as “WooCommerce Dynamic Pricing & Discounts”, costs money.
However, WooCommerce offers so many features and incredible functionality right out of the box that it would be impossible to cover all of the functionality here…
This post describes how to sell live, scheduled classes and events with WooCommerce and schedule pricing changes based on “Early Bird” discounts.
How To Sell Live, Scheduled Classes and Events With WooCommerce
Selling digital products online is a great business model. However, sometimes you may want sell tickets to live, in-person events on your website as well.
With live events you may want WooCommerce to be able to sell live events with specific dates, times, locations and other variables. You also may want the price of each live event to update automatically as the date approaches.
For instance, if you have a live class that costs $500.00 scheduled for July 20th, you may want to offer an “Early Bird” rate of $425.00 that’s 15% less, or $75.00 off. However, within 2 weeks of the course you may want the price to revert back to the regular price of $500.00.
Luckily WooCommerce allows you to set up automatic scheduled discounts and “Early Bird” rates right out of the box.
Creating a Live Class Variable Product in WooCommerce
WooCommerce offers the ability to create a “Product” that your customers will buy to attend your live class. (Note: This article assumes you know how to create a product (with name, description, search engine optimization using Yoast, etc.) in WooCommerce) and have already created and saved your Product.
Once you have created your Product, edit your Product and scroll down to the “Product Data” section of the WooCommerce product page and choose “Variable product” from the dropdown menu. Then update your product by clicking “Update”.
1) Go to “Attributes”
- From dropdown menu choose add custom product attribute > click “Add”
- Enter an instructional name, such as “Choose Event Date” or “Choose Class Date” under “Name”.
- Enter the dates of your live classes in the “Value(s)” field in this format “June 3-4, 2019 | March 28-29, 2019” etc.
- You can format the dates however you want, really… But be sure to separate each date with a | symbol
- Check the boxes for “Visible on the product page” and “Used for variations”
- Click “Save attributes”
- Let WooCommerce refresh itself
2) Go to “Variations”
- From the dropdown menu choose “Create variations from all attributes” > click “Go” —
- WooCommerce will ask you to confirm…
- Then WooCommerce will do its thing and you click “OK”
- This will create numbered Variations for each attribute you created
- For each Variation, hover over the options to the right of the variation and click the arrow to expand the variation
- Make sure the “Regular price ($)” is 500 and the “Sale price ($)” is 425.
- Next to “Sale price ($)” click “Schedule”
- Sale start date should be yesterday
- Sale end date should be 2 weeks (14 days to be safe) prior to the class
- Click “Save changes”
- Repeat this for each variation.
Making “Early Bird” Discounts Clear to The Customer
It’s not a bad idea to make it clear to the customer, in both the main description field and in the “Product short description” that there’s an “Early Bird” rate.
You could write something like:
“Please note: All class prices increase by $50.00 two weeks prior to the scheduled class date. Hurry for early bird pricing!”
That should be it… Now you’re ready to sell live classes in WooCommerce. If you have any questions about this, let me know in the comments.